The best way to learn how we make dirty water clean again is with a first-hand look at our award-winning water resource recovery facility. Come see how we are using your monthly investment to protect public health and the environment.
Each year, we welcome hundreds of visitors to our facility, ranging from students of all ages to industry insiders and political dignitaries who want to learn more about the ongoing improvements we’re making to better our water and boost sustainable operations.
We offer the following four tour types of tours, and we can customize tours as needed.
The Water Transformer Tour
At AlexRenew, we transform wastewater into sparkling clean water that we reuse in our facility. We also recover energy and fertilizer. If your group is new to wastewater, then this tour may suit your needs.
The Innovator Tour
AlexRenew embraces innovative wastewater solutions and technologies. If your group wants to get a closer look at our State-of-the-Art Nitrogen Upgrade (Anammox, Nutrient Management Facility, etc.) or any of our other innovative water cleaning infrastructure, then this tour is for you.
The Good Neighbor Tour
Do you live or work in Alexandria or a similar city and want to know how we operate in an urban environment? On this tour, we will show your group how we clean wastewater while being a good neighbor with a visit to our laboratory, Urban Wildlife Habitat, Nutrient Management Facility, screening area, and more.
Young Problem Solvers Tour*
For children between 5 and 10 years old, we offer a tour of our Environmental Center educational lobby featuring hands-on exhibits and a classroom with engaging activities that teach children to be stewards of our water enviornment.
*Each Young Problem Solvers tour must be scheduled at least 1 month in advance of your requested tour date. The interactive nature of the Young Problem Solvers tour requires additional staff availability. Due to the need to secure more staff, we require additional time for internal review and the scheduling of groups. Please understand that while we want to make each tour a memorable experience for you, our first priority is to transform dirty water and return it to our local waterways. The Young Problems Solvers Tour last approximately 1.5 hours and must have a minimum of 20 participants.
- Tours are scheduled on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9 am and 1 pm. We do not host tour groups during the winter months of December, January, and February.
- Tours last approximately two hours, but times will vary depending on the group's needs.
- Tours groups are limited to a maximum of 40 participants. If your group has more than 20 participants, it will be divided into two or more separate groups.
- Tours must be requested at least three weeks in advance. Please allow one week for a response.
- Tour participants must stay together at all times and follow the directions of the tour guide. Tour participants may not touch any switches, equipment, etc. unless the tour guide clearly indicates it is allowed.
To participate in a walking tour of the facilities, you must follow these guidelines:
- Please keep in mind that AlexRenew is a working, industrial facility. For the safety of our participants, you must be in at least 6th grade (age 10 or older) and capable of a significant amount of walking, including stairs.
- Sign a hold harmless agreement and media release (a parent or legal guardian must sign for any participant under the age of 18).
- Wear appropriate attire:
- Closed-toed slip resistant shoes (no high heels, flip flops, sandals, or open-toed shoes)
- Full-length pants (no skirts, shorts, or three-quarter-length capri pants)
- Hard hat and visitor vest provided by AlexRenew
- Long-sleeve shirts are recommended