AlexRenew places the health of our watershed at the forefront of our operations. Our engineering experts utilize industry-leading technologies to design, operate, and maintain high-quality wastewater systems that meet the strictest environmental health standards.
Protecting the environmental health of our community is one of our most fundamental objectives. By practicing conscientious water stewardship today, we create a healthier environment for future generations.
Since our beginnings in 1952, we’ve taken deliberate and focused action to help restore water quality and reduce nutrients entering our local waterways and the Chesapeake Bay watershed. You see the results in our advanced water treatment facility and our latest capital improvement projects.
There are a lot of good reasons why keeping our water clean is an important priority:
- Fishing: Clean water is critical to plants and animals that live in water. This is important to the fishing industry, sport fishing enthusiasts, and future generations.
- Wildlife Habitats: Our rivers and ocean waters teem with life that depends on shoreline, beaches and marshes. They are critical habitats for hundreds of species of fish and other aquatic life. Migratory water birds use the areas for resting and feeding.
- Recreation and Quality of Life: Water is a great playground for us all. The scenic and recreational values of our waters are reasons many people choose to live where they do. Visitors are drawn to nearby waterways and water activities such as fishing, boating, biking and picnicking.
- Health Concerns: If it is not properly cleaned, water can carry disease. Since we live, work and play so close to water, harmful bacteria have to be removed to make water safe.
We all must pitch in to improve the health of our watershed and protect wastewater infrastructure. Do your part to protect your pipes:
1. Do Not Flush: Flush only toilet paper! Some products may claim to be flushable, such as wipes and diapers, but these items do not degrade in water and can be damaging our pipes and treatment system. Do not flush hair, personal hygiene products, cigarettes, rags, or cleaning wipes down the drain.
2. Fats, Oils, and Grease: Grease causes sewer maintenance problems for property owners and the city. Never pour grease down the drain.
3. Unused Medications: Dispose of medications in the garbage or take medications to an approved prescription drug take-back site or event.
4. Household Chemicals: Follow safe and legal disposal methods of paint, motor oil, cleaners, and other household chemicals.
To learn about additional ways to protect water quality in and around your home, visit Alexandria City’s Protect Your Water Quality and the Chesapeake Bay Program.