What is Sustainability?
The concept of sustainability is ancient and simple; meeting the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations. Sustainability expands beyond environmental practices; it involves protecting natural resources and investing in human capital to ensure business resilience and financial stability. This focus on People, Planet, and Profit is known as the “Triple Bottom Line.”
- PEOPLE is the impact an organization has on its most important stakeholders such as employees, customers, suppliers, and communities. Investing in people ensures greater employee retention and customer loyalty, supporting financial security.
- PLANET is how an organization affects the natural environment. Companies demonstrate environmental stewardship by reducing carbon footprints, minimizing waste, and restoring damaged ecosystems, often resulting in lower business costs.
- PROFIT is how organizations create and manage wealth, including monitoring how investments in “People” and “Planet” are paying off.
AlexRenew is working towards a more sustainable and resilient future by protecting the environment, empowering our workforce, and continuing to serve the community while wisely managing ratepayer revenue. We follow the Triple Bottom Line philosophy of sustainability, setting goals by considering the long-term social, economic, and environmental impacts of our actions.
- Our public engagement, safety, and professional development initiatives cater to the PEOPLE that make AlexRenew unique.
- We are invested in long-term watershed management, working to reduce energy waste and exceed compliance goals while making a positive impact on the PLANET.
- While we do not PROFIT, AlexRenew customers trust us to wisely invest in infrastructure that enables reliable, responsive, and affordable service.
The Triple Bottom Line contributes to a more resilient, safe, profitable, and sustainable future for AlexRenew and the community we serve. We plan to continue leveraging sustainability strategy into future business initiatives, including increasing climate change preparedness, improving energy and water use efficiency, incorporating green building concepts into new construction projects, and engaging community members in water stewardship initiatives.