AlexRenew protects the public’s health while helping to restore the bounty of the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay watershed.
Since our beginnings in 1952, we’ve taken deliberate and focused action to help restore water quality and reduce nutrients entering the watershed. You see the results in our advanced water treatment facility, and our latest capital improvement projects.
The treatment processes at AlexRenew help to improve our watershed by:
- Reducing nitrogen and phosphorus that promote harmful algal growth in aquatic systems
- Keeping sediment and harmful pathogens from entering the waterways
- Adding oxygen needed by aquatic life
Encouraging the community to get involved
The health of our waterways depends on us all. We work to educate city residents and businesses on how to do their part through our participation in annual events like the City of Alexandria’s Earth Day celebration and the Alice Ferguson Potomac Watershed Clean-up. In addition, our annual Open House welcomes the community to come explore what we all can do to keep our waterways clean.
Award-winning environmental steward
We’re proud of the recognition we receive for our environmental efforts and our leadership in the clean water industry:
- National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) gave AlexRenew its twelfth consecutive Platinum Peak Performance Award for outstanding 100 percent compliance with its National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit requirements
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) awarded AlexRenew the top rating in environmental stewardship, recognizing us as an Extraordinary Environmental Enterprise
- The National Environmental Achievement Award for Public Education/Outreach from the National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA)
- The Organizational Efficiency Through Team Work award from NACWA
- The Research and Technology Award for Enhancing Nitrogen Removal and Increase Sustainability from NACWA
- The National Recognition Award for Advanced Wastewater Treatment Facility Upgrades from the American Council of Engineering Companies
- The Project Innovation Award For Superior Achievement in WasteWater Treatment from the International Water Association
- The “Platinum Level” for highest level of commitment in Biosolids Management from the National Biosolids Partnership
- The Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association
- The NAIOP Award of Excellence for Buildings from the Commercial Real Estate Development Association for our State-of-the-Art Nitrogen Upgrade Program.
- The Excellence in Construction Award from the ABC (Associated Builders & Contractors) of Metro DC for our Nutrient Management Facility.
- The NEAA Utility of the Future Award from the National Association of Clean Water Agencies for our South Carlyle neighborhood strategy.
- The Grand Award for Design from the American Academy of Environmental Engineers & Scientists for our State-of-the-Art Nitrogen Upgrade Program.
- The Engineering Excellence Grand Award from the American Council of Engineering of Metro Washington for our State-of-the-Art Nitrogen Upgrade Program.
- The Project Excellence Award from the Water Environmental Federation for our State-of-the-Art Nitrogen Upgrade Program.